You've got to listen to Chris' new songs, especially tracks 3 and 4. And you should also listen to his older songs, especially tracks 5, 7, and 8. Oh, and 2 and 9. And the others. Niels is taking a hiatus from performing and their post-Tucker drummer went on a mission, so Chris is doing solo recording with his early-graduation present Mac Notebook. He needs a better mic and some new software I guess. His effects pedal that John ordered for Christmas still hasn't arrived.
The other day we were having one of our talks about what's good musically and listening to each other's YouTube suggestions, and he said that the truly immortal rock bands are The Clash, U2, Cold Play, The Killers (the lead singer, Brandon Flowers, was originally from Nephi and is sort of a Mormon)--ah, now I'm forgetting which ones he said are immortal and which are his favorite newer bands (also, he would probably choose different songs). The Black Keys. Provo's own Neon Trees (whose drummer once dated our friend Spencer). He also had me listen to Billy Idol and Freddie Mercury for style ("nobody nowadays has it like they did in the 80's"). I showed him David Bowie and Mick Jagger (he thinks both and the Beatles are overrated. He said he likes McCartney better than Lennon, and he doesn't much like hippie music).
Then we listened to Nina Simone (this song has been co-opted and corrupted for a WeightWatchers ad, but the original is sensational). Chris groaned in appreciation, and laughed, when that old bluesy trombone kicked in. Another fun one of hers is Pirate Jenny from Brecht's Threepenny Opera (so interesting the transition from Germany in the 30's to the American South in 1962), which song of course Chris had heard before. Sometimes I think he knows all the music ever.
He says, all I ever want to do is make songs, and I've had only 100 hits on my songs that I posted two weeks ago. Marketing? I say. But I don't know either. I guess we all need a day job.
No comments:
Post a Comment