Monday, February 7, 2011

Grandma's Funeral

I think there is a fixed up version of this photo someplace, but I almost like the original snapshot.  She was 98 and her lungs were bad, but she was talking and laughing with family right up until her death.  Her life spanned a century.  At the end, she told my mom that it was hard but it was worth it.  We carry her in our hearts and in our DNA.

I have a pretty quilt made by Grandma Sylvia for my wedding.  I also have two of her rugs.

Grandma and Grandpa E were there of course, now the oldest generation.  Dad said, "I'm the next oldest in the family."

Here are the sibs and their spouses (silly Aunt Linda, too long waiting for photos) except for Uncle Mike and Lorraine, who had already left to do chores:
A few of the photographers:
My own siblings found ourselves in the same room and decided to have a photo.  Aunt Lucy said, "But you're all so old!"
At the gravesite in the Glendale Cemetery (with Uncle Ike):

 Pallbearers Boyd and J.Lynn on the left:

Cindy made the blue and yellow silk wreath.  It was good to see everyone, despite the somewhat melancholy realization that we've all moved up a generation.  I'm grandmother, mother, and daughter, but no longer granddaughter to a living person.  I was so happy to have helped Grandma Sylvia finish her personal history.  We will all miss her.

No comments: