Amy and I left Provo at 4:30 pm (16:30), and Amy stayed back with Ethan while Betsy, Brett, and I drove up to the hospital. Right after we got there it was snowing outside. We were in the same room where Ethan was born. No drama as there was with Ethan--no gas leaks and threatened evacuation. Things were pretty slow for awhile.
Things were pretty slow for a long while.
Brett went home for a nap. By early morning, things were heating up again. This (below) is not Betsy's natural resting smile:
At 6:16 we texted Brett to come back. And hurry.
Taking a tiny break before the final lap:
Dr. Bennett, who made it there even after Brett:
Rayen Elizabeth, born 6:55 a.m. Feb 17, 2011. Weight 9 lbs 1 oz, height 21 inches. Blond, curly hair (but the curly probably won't last, as both parents and Ethan have straight hair). At 9 lbs she is all filled out and cute as a button. Her skin is perfectly translucent, and it was so interesting to see her change color when she was born and as she cried, from blue to purple to white to red. Oxygenated blood! She seems to me, at home now as the grandma downstairs, to sleep quite a lot. She had no difficulty learning to latch on--I suppose some of that had to do with being Betsy's second.
Hello Ellie! Welcome to the world.
Daddy Brett caught her on the way out, and snipped the cord, and took her for her first check-over, and helped with her bath.
The new room was nice--in the new hospital wing, with a beautiful view. The best view was of the ladies:
Ethan came to visit. Of everyone involved, he will probably have the hardest adjustment.
Thank you to Brett and Betsy for letting me be there. I am honored. I love you all.
No comments:
Post a Comment