I walked into town for the readings at the United Reform Church on South Street. Furze Swann (“Furze” is such a great name--it is the old-fashioned Dorset version of the ubiquitous, thorny, yellow-flowered shrub called “gorse” in the rest of the British Isles) arranged more or less parallel pieces from his three favorite poets: Thomas Hardy, Edward Thomas (a WWI poet I‘ve never read), and Robert Frost. The readings were by three Royal Shakespeareans--Oliver Ford Davies,
now playing Polonius in Stratford, Cheryl Campbell, and Harriet Walter,
who played the brother’s greedy wife in Sense and Sensibility and my favorite, Harriet Vane in the BBC’s version of the Peter Wimsey stories. So I had my usual little thrill of celebrity insanity--I walked past all three on my way to the toilet after the program. (I’ve never actually touched a celebrity except my first, when Alan Rickman bumped into my knee at the Lyttleton Theatre on the south bank clear back before Harry Potter. I realized then that I had as much crazy fan girl makeup in me as anyone did).
now playing Polonius in Stratford, Cheryl Campbell, and Harriet Walter,
who played the brother’s greedy wife in Sense and Sensibility and my favorite, Harriet Vane in the BBC’s version of the Peter Wimsey stories. So I had my usual little thrill of celebrity insanity--I walked past all three on my way to the toilet after the program. (I’ve never actually touched a celebrity except my first, when Alan Rickman bumped into my knee at the Lyttleton Theatre on the south bank clear back before Harry Potter. I realized then that I had as much crazy fan girl makeup in me as anyone did).
No comments:
Post a Comment