We walked by a monument “In memory of those who suffered in Dorset in the religious troubles of the 16th and 17th Centuries,” many of whom were hanged, drawn, and quartered on this site.
I should imagine, but don‘t know for sure, that many were Catholic. Of course they could have been Protestant too, depending on whether it was Henry, Mary, Elizabeth, or the Stuarts on the throne. It was interesting that the monument didn’t say which side anybody was on. It did say this: 
It also quoted Robert Southwell, priest, “put to the torture thirteen times and executed in Tyburn 21 February 1595”:
“Not where I breathe, but where I love, I live;
Not where I love, but where I am, I die;
The life I wish, must future glory give.
The deaths I feele in present daungers lye.”
Durnovaria was surrounded by a wall, some of which exists 2000 years later. Here is a piece on the west side near the Borough Gardens:
It is just the core of the wall, as "the smoother facing was used by locals for building in the middle ages." What would it mean to live in a place this old, so soaked in human history? Near the South Train Station are the Maumbury Rings, fortifications first built during the Stone Age, then made into a Roman amphitheatre, then used as a fairgrounds and an animal pen, and now a sort of public picnic area. Our students played Frisbee on/in them three years ago.
I should imagine, but don‘t know for sure, that many were Catholic. Of course they could have been Protestant too, depending on whether it was Henry, Mary, Elizabeth, or the Stuarts on the throne. It was interesting that the monument didn’t say which side anybody was on. It did say this: 
It also quoted Robert Southwell, priest, “put to the torture thirteen times and executed in Tyburn 21 February 1595”:
“Not where I breathe, but where I love, I live;
Not where I love, but where I am, I die;
The life I wish, must future glory give.
The deaths I feele in present daungers lye.”
Durnovaria was surrounded by a wall, some of which exists 2000 years later. Here is a piece on the west side near the Borough Gardens:
It is just the core of the wall, as "the smoother facing was used by locals for building in the middle ages." What would it mean to live in a place this old, so soaked in human history? Near the South Train Station are the Maumbury Rings, fortifications first built during the Stone Age, then made into a Roman amphitheatre, then used as a fairgrounds and an animal pen, and now a sort of public picnic area. Our students played Frisbee on/in them three years ago.
No comments:
Post a Comment