Thursday, July 15, 2010

A Medical Aside

I went to the hematologist at UVRMC on Monday, and he said he doesn't think I have an anticardiolipin antibody problem (although I do have the antibodies and test "moderately positive") because I have no evidence or history of a clotting problem. He said he would send an email to the blood guru in SLC to ask about precautions with surgery or cancer treatment. He was the one who called him the "blood guru," which is kind of reassuring, actually.

I have another appointment with my Cylon gynecologist on this coming Monday to talk more in depth about diagnosis and treatment options.

I keep thinking all this stuff about blood and illness and cutting and femaleness and so forth is very linked to the whole vampire/werewolf world.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

O KARLA

yave said...

Hooray! (first paragraph)

Lara said...

Have you had syphilis?

Sorry. Attempt at humor. But also demonstrating what happens when I google "anticardiolipin antibody".

I worry for you which makes me a google freak (I've learned a lot about endometrial cancer, also)

Wishing you the best outcomes and much peace. More virtual hugs.

Karla said...

After googling (as per Lara) I'm a little more grumpy about the whole anticardiolipin thing. I don't think anybody really knows anything--NOT heritable? It's either heritable or transmitted like a contagious disease, given that my mom, sister, several aunts and uncles, several more great aunts and great uncles all have it, most of the elder generation dying of stroke, heart attack, pulmonary embolism, or dementia related to mini-strokes. And the only thing it would take for me to be symptomatic is one of the above. Until then, no treatment except aspirin. Actually I don't mind that--it seems to be working.