Sunday, January 25, 2009

Medical Report*

I've become organized! Unfortunately, that seems to mean less time for blogging. Not that my organized phase is apt to last very long, given my history.

The IHC diabetes management people kept calling and sending letters telling me to come in for my education Tuesday Wednesday Thursdays--afternoons or evenings!--but since that's when I have my office hours I just gave up on it. They are persistent, however, and scheduled me in my own 3-hour slot to talk to a nutritionist and a diabetes specialist. It was actually quite inspirational. I'm not technically diabetic, but borderline, with some chance of keeping my glucose levels down by "lifestyle" changes, and not having to take meds. They gave me (or charged DMBA for, no doubt) a cute little purple glucose tester that is the coolest toy ever. My doctor said check two or three times a month, but it's a lot more fun to do it twice a day, with its techie little chip-strips. Yesterday at the farm we all tested our blood sugar levels. Mine remain borderline. Maybe it takes more than ten days watching my carbs before I get it under control. I have lost the holiday 7 lb weight gain though. Yikes! Seven lbs! That was a lot of cookies!

And, I am noncompliant with my blood pressure meds. I bought another cute little computerized techie toy at Wallgreens, a blood pressure monitor, and despite the various meds--beta blocker, calcium channel blocker, ACE whatever inhibitor--my blood pressure was still incredibly variable. I read some post or something about some non-Big Pharma-funded study which showed that of all the BP meds, diuretics alone worked as well or better than the expensive drugs. So I just quit. And my BP seems the same if not better. It still ranges a little too far up there at times--no more than it did before with the meds--but maybe with my current (organized) diet and exercise it will come down on its own.

OK, boring stuff over.

*This post is for middle-aged people or older, or for people who are very interested in my health--my life insurance beneficiaries perhaps.

No comments: