Saturday, January 10, 2009

The Problem of Sex in Marriage

There's a great post and discussion in comments over on feminist Mormon housewives about how wives and husbands handle differing expectations/needs for sex. In my therapy practice I have gotten to the point of wondering if every couple faces this issue. And it can go either way, I must say, although it seems like approximately eight husbands want more sex (at least after the first year or two of marriage) to every one wife who wants more sex. I've seen couples in both predicaments.

I really like the comment thread because I think every possible view and experience is represented. As a therapist, it is a hugely intractible problem with a lot of heat and very little light shed on it. So many people suffering, and all thinking there's something uniquely wrong with them (or their partner).

By the way, I wonder why it is that so many marriages start off full speed ahead on sex, or even with the wife saying she'd like more, but then ten or twenty years down the road he's feeling deprived and she's avoiding it whenever possible?

No comments: