Monday, December 15, 2008

Buffy Anxiety

We're almost through with Season 3, and I just read this:


...even though I loved Buffy, after she started sleeping with every vampire in sight and morphed into Buffy the Vampire Layer, it became harder to watch.

Tell me it ain't so! I realize that vampirism is on some level a stand-in for sex, but it isn't only about sex, and it's a lot more fun when the sexual tension etc. is sublimated and disguised. Like flying dreams are "really" sex dreams--except they're not--if you're going to have a sex dream, just have a sex dream, but let the flying dreams be about flying. If you're going to have vampires, let it be about vampires, not porn of whatever degree of disgustingness. Or let it be vampire disgustingness at least.

1 comment:

Janci said...

She doesn't sleep with every vampire in sight. I think, besides Angel, that she has sex with a total of three more guys in the series, one of which she's in a long term relationship with, and the other two of which are to say something about her emotional instability/the emotional consequences of sex.

So there will be sex. But not THAT much.

(That said, there's one episode in season four which is in particularly poor taste involving a poltergeist and a frat party. But besides that, it wasn't a problem for me.)