Last night after a long day of psychotherapy (only six sessions, but seemed long), I thought, "why did I go into this field again?" It was a question I asked myself a lot back in the old days, when it felt like I just didn't know enough, wasn't compassionate enough, wasn't tough enough, wasn't confident enough, didn't have the right personality for, etc. etc. actually helping anybody with the unmanageable problems of their lives. But today I remembered why, again.
I organize a (sort-of) monthly Brown Bag series for psychologists to share insights and interests related to therapy. It is a way for me to get to know my colleagues and facilitate the dissemination of practical information--a professional public service (I inveigle people into presenting for free, at their own place, and sometimes even bringing refreshments). Anyway, today, the presentation by Mark Owens was on exposure and response prevention treatment of Obsessive Compulsive Disorder. Dr. Owens' client had herself suggested presenting as a sort of counter-phobic activity, and a public service of her own. It was great! There are ways to help people, and they are hard (oh my gosh is therapy hard) but they actually work. That's why I do it. Because it is down and dirty hard fighting with people's demons, and you can succeed. I love it.
No comments:
Post a Comment