Tuesday, August 12, 2008

Helen and Gary

We met Helen and Gary at the Hyde Park Ward during our 2001 stay in the BYU Centre at Palace Court. They had recently moved to London from Sydney. Our similar family situations give us much in common--we are near the same age, both couples married quite young, both have two boys and two girls (we have one more--Chris). Their boys were in Australia then, but daughters Michal and Briony were living with them at the time, while all our kids were with us, and the children hit it off.

But as Ryan said at dinner last night, there’s something spooky about how alike we are. John and I are friends with many couples, but usually one of us is first a friend of one of them, and spouses are included incidentally. But with Helen and Gary, Gary and I are most interested in politics and government, John and Gary most interested in publishing, Helen and I most interested in science fiction/fantasy (which we just discovered last night), John and Helen most interested in art, Helen and I most interested in psychology, John and Helen most interested in integrating the arts in a creative program or space, John and Gary most interest in Mormon issues, Gary and I most interested in history--and yet we’re all interested in all of it, and everything else, and can go for a year without communicating and then talk all night (which is why I’m so sleepy now on the flight home).

Our differences are interesting as well. John is an academic and a writer, I’m a psychologist and homemaker, Gary is an attorney and ethical advisor to a company which privatizes government functions (after working as a critic and advisor within the Labour government in Australia), Helen is an art grad student at the Slade in London after a BA in psychology, a diverse work history, and raising the kids. Gary’s book, which he has been working on for some time, has evolved into three (or four) projects--from a finely researched look at the convict ships to Australia to the history of Wells Fargo in the American West. They (and I suppose we) are quirky, even eccentric, passionate about many things, and supportive of many people. They are hospitable, generous, and gracious. I hope that I am also, at my best. I love and admire Helen and Gary for being what I aspire to. I look forward very much to seeing them again next year and taking up the conversation where we left off.

No comments: