Wednesday, August 6, 2008

The Center of the Center of the English Speaking World

So Manhattan might be the center of the universe, but London is the center of the English speaking world, and to me, Trafalgar Square is the heart of London. Here Nelson gazes down Whitehall toward Parliament (reprovingly, one suspects), and a lion at the base of the monument looks ready to take a bite out of Big Ben. John and I took in a free lunchtime concert at St. Martin-in-the-Fields before visiting the National Portrait Gallery and eating (of course, for old times' sake) at Wagamama's. They've been refurbishing the church for several years now, and the concert was accompanied by the sound of a jackhammer, or some other noisy power tool. I love the new window--a sense of being held, caught, or trapped, but also having broken free--the web is empty now, but leaves a void or passage whereby we too may escape.

1 comment:

Alison + Brandon said...

Hey, it's been fun reading about your traveling-in-England adventures. Just wanted to say that I LOVE that window and your description of it. Totally cool!
-Alison Roberg