Monday, August 4, 2008

August 2 The Best Little Museum in the World

This morning was the official Annual Meeting of the Hardy Society, but as you can see, only the die-hard[y] members stayed on. John and I lasted about ten minutes. Here I am in front of the United Reform Church where most of the sessions were held. Just up the street is the Cornhill Market, much more lively on a Saturday than earlier in the week. John and I stopped at an antique book shop, where I found a little illustrated version of Lamb’s stories of Shakespeare, which I remember from childhood, and a first edition (probably the only edition) of Dorothy Sayers’ religious plays. We sat in St. Peter’s Church for a few minutes (here are pretty Victorian panels of the Christmas shepherds), then went on to the Dorset County Museum, which is my favorite museum in the world. As I told the curator, it is the only museum I know where you are forced to walk on 2000 year old Roman mosaic tile.

No comments: