Sunday, September 5, 2010

Garden Update

The plantings are growing in the rock garden (above). The purple grass looked so sad at first, so I fertilized it, and now it's taking over. I hope the little scarlet maple survives. Sometimes it doesn't get enough water, I think, and it's in a hot dry place.

The corner grape arbor is growing and full of purple, sweet-smelling concord grapes. We'll wait until the last possible minute to pick them--hopefully after the first frost, although after a 95 degree day yesterday, it doesn't seem likely soon--and bottle the grape juice. The willow bush to the left is a worrisome, as it just keeps getting bigger and bigger.

The Himrod grape vine is up over the garden shed and onto the deck. Soon it will cover the house, and people will say, "what's that mound of vegetation?" Our Himrod vine in Springville was similar. It's outgrowing the Blaze climbing rose on the arbor below, and that's something.

I chopped down all the sunflowers, potted and growing in the garden, as they were messy and getting in the way of picking peaches. It makes the swing garden a little more accessible.

Sunflowers in a blue pitcher:

No comments: