Monday, January 17, 2011

Grandparenthood

We had Colette over for the weekend, as Nicolle and Johnathan were in Costa Rica helping her folks renovate her abuelita's kitchen in San Jose, and Rob was working during the day. I remember being the only grandchild visiting my grandparents in Orderville and at the house north of Glendale in Long Valley, and how much fun it was to eat with them and "help" do chores. Colette was very good, and helpful, and we tried to indulge her in every single little thing. She really likes to play the games on "PBS Kids" online. I have a very nice new cot for car camping, and she slept by herself for two nights in the living room by the fire. When Rob and Nicolle and Johnathan came down last night, they slept on our new fold-out sofa in the front room. It is great having so much space for people to sleep, and I like when our sweeties come to stay with us.

Also, Johnathan is completely toilet-trained. This is a major cause for celebration. He came out of the bathroom this morning with his underwear around his ankles. "Did you go to the toilet?" I asked. "I peed and peed and peed and peed and peed," he said.

Today was very warm for the middle of January. I sat out on the deck in the sun, and the trickle of melting snow was as loud all around me as the trickle from the waterfall below. It will be cold again soon. I am engrossed in reading my garden magazines and looking up garden sites online--I have another idea for my Lucy garden. We shall see.

We tried to go with the kids to a dollar movie, but they were all sold out, so we bought a movie and watched it while we ate nachos. Then there was the sunset and they went home.

No comments: